Friday, March 22, 2013

Giving Up Sugar... What Am I? Crazy?

As I sit here and think about what to write tonight I am tormented by a TREMENDOUS headache. Who knew sugar was so addicting that you can quite literally go through withdrawals. I am dreaming of Bop's frozen custard and sinfully delicious blueberry muffins (ooo I need to share that recipe!). By now I thought I would have completely given in and destroyed an M&M McFlurry but somehow I have stuck with it. I have been so much more resolved than any other time I have tried to get healthy and I think I know why. For the first time in my life I actually own a functioning scale. I wish that were a joke but it is not.

When I was younger, the only chance I had to check my weight was during the occasional visit to my aunt's house. Growing up I picked up the penny pinching habits of my dad and refused to spend more than $10 on a scale, one that never really worked. Now that I am a little older and a little wiser I know that sometimes you have to spend a little more to get your money's worth so now I have a high quality scale (that I bought on sale).

So how has this scale helped me stick to this commitment? Well, every other time I attempted such a huge change I felt horrible and could see no results. Believe me I know these things take time but it's hard to remember that when you are detoxing from sugar. This time is different. This time I can see the change. In less than one week I have shed 4 pounds! Now that is motivation. I never want to see that scale go back up again so I will stick through the headaches and crazy lady mode (I'm pretty sure my husband is thinking about having me committed).

I didn't just stop the sugar, I cut the carbs too by starting the Paleo diet. I compiled a weeks worth of recipes, bought the ingredients I needed on Sunday, and began the diet Sunday night. The great thing about this weeks worth of meals is it included leftover nights which gave me a break from cooking. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it is not as expensive as I thought. I bought all the ingredients I needed (I already had some) for less than $100! The meals were actually really tasty too. I'll admit I wasn't too sure about the mashed cauliflower but it turned out to be amazing.

So that is it. I have quit the sugar and I am done for good. No soda, candy, cake, etc for me! And I couldn't feel better about it :)

Week One Paleo Meals:

Sunday: Paleo Tacos
Monday: Chicken Caccitorie
Tuesday: Honey Garlic Chicken Wings and Mashed Cauliflower
Wednesday: Italian Fritatta
Thursday: Tilapia, Asparagus, and Squash
Friday: Leftovers
Saturday: Leftovers

Coming Soon! A new page just for the recipes I try and how the family reacts to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment