Friday, March 15, 2013

Oodles of Snikerdoodles

For the past few weeks the hubby and the 3 year old man have been begging for cookies. I put it off for as long as I can manage because I don't like to keep sweets around the house. They don't agree well with my waistline. Unlike my husband and child, I can't just eat whatever I fancy. Alas, eventually I must give in before they drive me mad (the hubby has this puppy dog face I just can't turn down).

I don't have a lot of family recipes to draw from so I use the internet as my recipe book. This time I found an amazing Snickerdoodle recipe called "Mr. Sigg's Snickerdoodles" and they are by far the best snickerdoodles I have ever had. The great thing about this recipe was that I had everything I needed already in the pantry! So I set out to make them. Here is the recipe (or you can click the link above):

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
  • 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    Cinnamon Sugar Coating
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, eggs and vanilla. 
  3.  Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. 
  4. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
  5. Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. 
  6. Roll balls of dough in mixture. 
  7. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
  8. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. 
  9. Remove immediately from baking sheets.
If you don't have any cream of tartar you can substitute the baking soda and cream of tartar with baking powder (1 teaspoon of baking powder for every 1/3 teaspoon baking soda and 2/3 cream of tartar).

These really are the best snickerdoodles I have ever had. If you try this recipe out let me know what you think of it in the comments below.  








It makes about 2x this many cookies... but little hands got to the other plate before I could take a pic :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment